Why This Job Is Important
Powering every successful nonprofit is a dynamic vision, mission-motivated people, and a fundraising strategy that engages generous communities. GiveMN is continuing to respond to the changing demands of nonprofit fundraising in Minnesota, recognizing that many organizations lack the knowledge, time, and tools to accomplish both their program mission and their fundraising objectives simultaneously.
RaiseMN is our answer to help organizations increase their capacity for fundraising. We’re actively looking for a strategic colleague to help us innovate as we answer this challenge. As the RaiseMN Fundraising Strategist, you’ll play a central role in responding to some of the biggest opportunities for growing giving across our state.
How You Will Be Spending Your Time
- In an average week, you will likely spend 20 hours working with RaiseMN client organizations, 15 hours designing campaign strategies and capacity building tools, and 5 hours meeting with and supporting other team members
- Sometimes you’ll be 100% focused on a single project, and at other times you’ll be coaching several external organizations at once
- Serving as a fundraising coach to multiple organizations, you will bring together desirability (what staff or volunteers want), feasibility (what the organization can do), and viability (what the community will support) as organizations grow their fundraising strategies to meet the unique demands of their mission
- Working with the GiveMN team to create, deliver, and evaluate solutions that respond to the organizational challenges of our partners, whether that solution is simply applying an available resource or crafting a completely new concept tried for the first time
- Occasionally traveling to coach organization partners or lead learning opportunities
- Consulting and collaborating with an advisory group of fundraising professionals
- Partnering with GiveMN’s executive director and director of campaigns and partnerships to seek out and secure exciting new opportunities where RaiseMN services sit at the heart of the solution
What You Are Good At
- You’re a facilitator and coach, sharing knowledge with our partners while learning from their experiences and adapting your support to their individual needs, in myriad settings from coffee shops to conferences, from board rooms to virtual classrooms
- You’re empathetic, listening first to seek ‘why’ before narrowing options to address a root cause
- You’re strategic, knowing how to prioritize what should be done, and why it needs to be done
- You’re creative, energized by creating something new
- You’re a communicator, able to share ideas effectively
- You work well across multiple lines of difference, including race, gender, identity, disability, and religion
- You’re a problem solver, having the ability to make the complex simple and help others understand your strategies
- You’re a leader, helping others see what they can achieve while supporting them with the encouragement and tools to accomplish their goals
- You’re resourceful, eager to innovate in environments with sometimes limited resources
What You Have Done
The best candidate for this position is someone who has progressive experience with:
- Fundraising for nonprofit organizations, schools, or civic causes
- Teaching, coaching, and supporting professional and volunteer teams
- Organizing and facilitating outreach across multiple lines of difference, including race, gender, identity, disability, and religion
- Designing curricula and knowledge-sharing tools for adult learners
- It would be a plus if you had experience with:
- Online fundraising tools and strategies
- Engagement campaigns across multiple communication channels
- Small- and medium-sized organizations
- Greater Minnesota communities
A Little More About You
The GiveMN team is small but mighty, working collaboratively and energetically to advance multiple priorities simultaneously. The best fit for the Green Team is someone who might describe themselves as:
- Passionate, hardworking, and self-motivated
- Easy going, always taking the mission more seriously than themselves
- Focused, thriving on deadline-driven work in a relaxed environment
- Flexible, comfortable navigating uncertainty and adapting to change
- Strategic, identifying and balancing short- and long-term risks and benefits
- Data savvy, able to interpret quantitative data to inform qualitative strategies
- Risk tolerant, open to trying new ideas, learning from mistakes, and continuously improving
- Confident, yet humble, as comfortable inspiring others and leading a team as you are presenting to large audiences and influential leaders
- Curious, never satisfied until you have explored numerous possibilities and perspectives
Applying For This Job
To apply for this job, email a digital file of your resume and an introductory letter to Jake Blumberg, executive director, at Jobs@GiveMN.org. Your introduction should be no longer than two pages, and should address the following questions:
- Why are you passionate about growing giving?
- Why do you want to work in this role at this time?
- What are the highlights of your fundraising or engagement experience and how would you apply those experiences to supporting Minnesota nonprofits’ fundraising strategies in this role?
- In what kind of work environment are you most productive as a team member and colleague?
You may also email questions to Jobs@GiveMN.org if necessary.
The application period is now open and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
RaiseMN is expanding the way GiveMN grows giving. This program is an initiative of GiveMN to respond to a critical gap for nonprofits—the capacity to build sustainable strategies and infrastructure around their overall fundraising needs. Through the RaiseMN Fundraising Campaign Institute, resource development and training, and sector thought leadership, RaiseMN is designed to help organizations move beyond simply accepting online donations and assist them in building their overall capacity for fundraising.
GiveMN envisions an unparalleled state of giving—a Minnesota where innovative technology and creative ideas help each person’s generosity soar to its full potential. We ignite generosity and grow giving, connecting more people with more causes than ever before. Since our founding in 2009 and with the help of our signature giving holiday, Give to the Max Day, we’ve succeeded in connecting more than 300,000 donors with 10,000 organizations, powering nearly $200 million in digital giving through our GiveMN.org website, the digital destination for giving in Minnesota.
In pursuit of our mission, the GiveMN board of directors has identified the following framework to guide the organization’s strategic direction:
- Giving Technology, improving the online giving experience, providing a marketplace for organizations to connect with donors, and delivering easy-to-use tools for organizations and donors
- Giving Events, bringing organizations together around common causes, connecting funders and donors with issues about which they care, and hosting Minnesota’s giving holiday, Give to the Max Day
- Fundraising Capacity Building, providing expertise and visibility for small nonprofits and other organizations that align with GiveMN’s value of equity in action to help them raise more money and train and develop more diverse, talented fundraisers
Equal Opportunity Employer
GiveMN values experience and success in working across multiple lines of difference—race, class, gender, age, disability, and religion—and invites candidates of all identities and experiences to apply for this position. GiveMN is an equal opportunity employer.